Pre-Thermographic Imaging Instructions
Welcome to our center. Before you arrive for your ThermoBreastScan, certain protocols must be followed to ensure that your images reflect accurate information. Please read the following instructions and strictly adhere to them.
- No prolonged sun exposure (especially sunburn) to the chest and breast areas 5 days prior to the scan.
- On the day of the exam, please do not use any lotions, creams, powders, or makeup on the breasts, and no use of deodorants or antiperspirants.
- No shaving (or other types of hair removal) of the chest, breasts, or underarms for 24 hours prior to the scan.
- No treatment (chiropractic, acupuncture, TENS, physical therapy, massage, electrical muscle stimulation, ultrasound, hot or cold pack use) of the neck, back, chest, or breasts for 24 hours before the scan.
- No physical stimulation of the breasts for 24 hours prior to the scan.
- No exercise 6 hours prior to the scan.
- If bathing, it must be no closer than 4 hours before the scan.
- If you are nursing, please try to nurse as far from 2 hours prior to the exam as possible.
- If you are using pain medications, please avoid taking them for 4 hours prior to the examination. You must consult with the prescribing physician for his or her consent prior to any change in medication use such as this.
- Eat light that day and replace coffee, green, or black tea with herbal teas.
- No smoking or drinking alcohol a minimum of 24 hours prior to the scan.
- Your arms and legs need to be covered regardless of the weather and season. Wear comfortable clothes—long sleeve shirt, loose-fitting sweater, and pants. Avoid tight fitting clothing, especially anything that leaves a red mark on the skin. Avoid scratching or rubbing skin prior to readings, as this can warm up areas to be scanned.
- Inform us before coming in if you have an acute infection such s fever, cold, or flu.
Your visit with us is a very thorough process. It begins with simple preparation steps that must be strictly followed before you arrive (click here for Pre-Thermographic Imaging Instructions). You will then meet with our experienced staff to go over the procedure and review your breast health.
The examination begins with a visual inspection of the surface of the breasts. This is a standard procedure that correlates any surface findings with the infrared images. Once this is done, you will be left for 15 minutes in order for your body to reach a steady temperature state in equilibrium with the special temperature conditions of the room.
After this brief waiting time, you will be positioned in front of the imaging system so that all of the surfaces of the breasts, upper chest, and under arms are imaged. A total of 12 images of your breasts will be taken and analyzed. A written report will be produced at the end of the visit for you and for your doctor if desired. The scan takes approximately 30 minutes. If you need to consult with the doctor about your thermographic images, please schedule an additional 15 minutes with our front desk; this needs to be done at the time you originally schedule your scan.
Thank you for choosing our center and we look forward to meeting you.
By Dr. Mylinh Vo, ND, ABAAHP